Diabetes is a metabolic disease that usually occurs when the blood sugar in the body is high and the pancreas is unable to make insulin. A diabetic patient is recommended to include different types of seafood in their diet. Seafood is rich in protein. Proteins could help to stabilize blood glucose levels in the body. That is the major reason for a person who is suffering from diabetes to include seafood in his diet.
There are so many different types of seafood. All of it should not be consumed, you should choose the right sources of seafood. In this article, we would discuss the best seafood for a diabetic patient.
Top 5 kinds of seafood for Diabetics are:
- COD- Codfish is highly rich in minerals, vitamin B12, and healthy fats. It has a white flash and has a mild flavor. For maintaining diabetes, COD liver oil is recommended for the patients. It not only helps in controlling the sugar levels in the body but also helps in reducing the risk of heart disease. It is a good source of omega-3 fatty acid and also lowers cholesterol. Eating COD fish daily can also keep the brain healthy.
- Shrimp- Shrimp does not contain any carbs and is low in calories. It is one of the best sources of iodine and antioxidants which can be good for maintaining the thyroid. A diabetic patient is suggested to eat shrimp as it is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Shrimp is considered to be the safest food to be included in the diabetic diet because of its minimal carbohydrate composition.
- Salmon- Salmon is considered the best seafood that a diabetic person should eat. There are different types of salmon including coho, sockeye, king, and pink. Salmon is a good source of protein and is low in saturated fats. It is also rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, potassium, iron, and vitamin D. In diabetes, coronary risk and inflammation are very common that can be easily reduced by consuming fish that are highly rich in fats.
- Shellfish- Shellfish is low in fat and high in proteins. They are a good source of amino acids that are required to form proteins. A diabetic patient should eat shellfish as it has a low concentration of saturated fats and reduces body inflammation. They are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that act as curing agents for diabetic patients.
- Sardines- Sardines is always a better option to go for a diabetic patient. They are very cheap and delicious. Sardines are an excellent source of vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids. They help in controlling diabetes by lowering cholesterol levels. Sardines can help in protecting the cardiovascular system that can cause serious health issues. It also helps in the absorption of blood sugar as it is a great source of protein and fats.
The intake of food should be made in the right manner not only in Diabetes but in every disease that has to be cured. Seafood is generally a good source of vitamins, minerals, and proteins that can help in controlling diabetes.